yllilepaja

Diesel won't start - what can I do?

"defect code memory" = read the error codes. Do you have access to VAG-specific diagnostic tools or at least a ODB2 compatible reader?

When replacing the fuel filter, the casing can crack easily. The crack isn't always very visible, but allows air into the fuel system over night. That would explain why the issues only occur in the morning.

As I said, check for hair fractures in the diesel filter housing. Takes a few hours for enough air to seep in to become problematic.

I don't drive a TDI, so I'm not sure, but as far as I remember, unlike the bigger VW/Audi TDIs they don't have a pump in the fuel tank, only the one one on the engine block. This is why air in the system is such a problem, the pump then runs dry and has trouble generating enough vacuum to pull diesel from the tank.

Official documentation says there actually IS a fuel pump in the tank, but that is not correct - maybe one of our diesel drivers could confirm this?

No pump in the fuel tank. Pump in front generates vacuum and pulls the diesel from the tank. Check the diesel filter housing, it often cracks when changing the filter. These cracks can be very small but big enough for air to get into the fuel system.