Zum Inhalt springen

A2 1.6 FSI renovation

MichHolger

Empfohlene Beiträge

Dear friends,

I am the proud owner (for 9 years ..) of one of the first (BAD ..) AUDI A2 FSI 1.6 from August 2002 and living in Berlin.

I feel this black one has lost some of its oomph over the last couple of years.

And I would like to invest in a renovation of the engine and the car. 

But I do not think my otherwise fine and friendly mechanics is up for such a job.

Can anyone help me with a reference to a good Werkstatt within a radius of 1 - 200 km from Berlin, who would be capable and interested in making such a renovation, at a reasonable price?

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

sorry my english is very BAD :( but what happening?

What is the fault on the motor? Maybe the FSI owners can help you. Since I have the same engine, the diseases of the engine are known to me.

How many kilometers have you already run down?

Many greetings to my former hometown. :)

What does "renovation" mean in this context? For example, there are no oversize pistons for this engine. This means you can't bore the engine block and renew the pistons. The only chance is to buy a new block including the pistons, rods, crank shaft etc. - which is around 1800 EUR.

Dear Mikey and DBA,

First, I am sorry my German is not good enough to write in German.  I do understand most German but I am not able to write understandable sentences.

My A2 (BAD) is basically fine. There are no actual problems.  And it is close to having run 200.000 kilometers.

However I have the impression that it now lacks a bit of the oomph it had 9 years ago, when it was quite agile even when starting accelerations.  I have done some substantial travel in the car, but I am not sure I would do so now.

And my current mechanics are also fine in maintaining the car.  The have managed to help out with the FSI "tumble" issue, sorting out the intake manifold flap etc.

But I plan to keep the car for my old age, and I wonder if it can be renovated engine and (if needed) other running gear to former performance.

So I search for a Werkstatt with ample VAG knowledge, who can make a thorough inspection and enter a dialogue about possible enhancements.  My current mechanics show no interest in such a project.

Best regards,

Michael, Berlin

aaah, OK. So there's not necessarily anything wrong per se, but you're looking for preventative maintenance. 

I'd probably suggest getting injectors cleaned and / or coil packs. But then I'm hesitant to touch a running system :D

- Bret

vor 7 Stunden schrieb MichHolger:

Dear Mikey and DBA,

First, I am sorry my German is not good enough to write in German.  I do understand most German but I am not able to write understandable sentences.

My A2 (BAD) is basically fine. There are no actual problems.  And it is close to having run 200.000 kilometers.

However I have the impression that it now lacks a bit of the oomph it had 9 years ago, when it was quite agile even when starting accelerations.  I have done some substantial travel in the car, but I am not sure I would do so now.

And my current mechanics are also fine in maintaining the car.  The have managed to help out with the FSI "tumble" issue, sorting out the intake manifold flap etc.

But I plan to keep the car for my old age, and I wonder if it can be renovated engine and (if needed) other running gear to former performance.

So I search for a Werkstatt with ample VAG knowledge, who can make a thorough inspection and enter a dialogue about possible enhancements.  My current mechanics show no interest in such a project.

Best regards,

Michael, Berlin

Hi Michael,

I hope this English Translator by Google makes me understand: D

If you are looking for preventive measures for the FSI I can give you a few suggestions.

The FSI is unfortunately not immune, for example, before the injection nozzles are coked.

Plastic pipes as well as cooling water pipes become brittle due to the enormous heat development in the engine compartment since it reaches 110 degrees and no 90 degrees as in the cockpit. This will then break them.

The intake manifold flap is also affected by this and unfortunately this will sooner or later fall victim to the heat and break. The problem is high costs in the workshop, but also unqualified car workers, who are very hard with the repair.

There is a software developed by a Forummember to make the engine more durable over the long term. This software can keep the heat in the engine compartment constant and permanently lower to 90 degrees. Thus, leads remain longer flexible ... er more durable xD. In addition, the intake manifold flap can be deactivated to prevent any breakage.

In and of itself I think the engine is very robust, regular oil change, maintenance and service favor a longer-term durability.

I personally would not make a motor revision. For the money one gets better or in the worst case the same.

Hope you have a long time to your FSI :)

best regards

Mikey

Dear Bret and Mikey,

It sounds as very good ideas.

And it is precisely to avoid paying some VAG mechanics a lot of money for not much, that I look for a good mechanics.

I look for a Werkstatt, I can trust will go into a dialogue with me about the different options.  And I would like to start the dialogue by having a performance measurement done.

Maybe I should start asking ADAC/DEKRA to test the car?

I am not sure what is the performance consequence of deactivating the manifold flap.  My current mechanics do regular cleaning, and I have avoided replacement for many years.

I will keep you informed,

Michael

Bearbeitet von MichHolger
Idea

The good thing about the BAD engine is that its mechanical basics are good and robust. As far as I know there are quite some here in the forum that have done over 200.000 km that are still running fine. I would not be too worried about block, pistons, crankshaft, valves, camshafts etc. as they generally run very long (different to many of the 1.4 AUA/BBY). I know of no BAD with oil consumption (different to many of the 1.4 AUA/BBY).

The typical BAD problems are in the periphery, as already indicated. Especially fuel injection (injectors, HP pumps), ignition (coils), cooling (elevated temperature as standard under part load, with plastic parts), air intake (swirl flaps) and exhaust (NOx catalyst) are known frequent issues. Make sure these are addressed timely and I bet it can serve you for a long, long time.

An ADAC/DEKRA check might give you comfort. But I doubt whether it will address any of these typical FSI pains, I think they will address the typical TÜV issues (wear and tear, brakes/tires/shocks/exhaust/corrosion). You might better look, like you are doing, for a good mechanic and/or a meeting of A2 enthousiasts. How about https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/forum/30-ost/ for meetings or

Deine Meinung

Schreibe jetzt und erstelle anschließend ein Benutzerkonto. Wenn Du ein Benutzerkonto hast, melde Dich bitte an, um unter Deinem Benutzernamen zu schreiben.

Gast
Auf dieses Thema antworten...

×   Du hast formatierten Text eingefügt.   Formatierung jetzt entfernen

Nur 75 Emojis sind erlaubt.

×   Dein Link wurde automatisch eingebettet.   Einbetten rückgängig machen und als Link darstellen

×   Dein vorheriger Inhalt wurde wiederhergestellt.   Editor leeren

×   Du kannst Bilder nicht direkt einfügen. Lade Bilder hoch oder lade sie von einer URL.

• Aktivitäten

1. 92

E10 – Verträglichkeit

2. 92

E10 – Verträglichkeit

3. 31

Welchen A2 sollte ich zum gelegentlichen Gebrauch und für eine lange Haltezeit kaufen? (Motor, Ausstattung, ...)

4. 8

S-Line 9 Speichenfelge in 16 Zoll?

5. 0

Biete: Hochdruckpumpe BAD 1.6 FSI 120.000 km 350 €

6. 92

E10 – Verträglichkeit

7. 14

[1.4 Benzin] Fehler AGR Durchsatz zu groß

8. 92

E10 – Verträglichkeit

9. 8

S-Line 9 Speichenfelge in 16 Zoll?

• Neu erstellen...

Wichtige Information

Wir verwenden Cookies. Mit weiteres surfen erklären Sie sich mit diesen einverstanden.